#100MILETRIAL

 


THE GOAL - So this year I turned 50, and a lot of things happened - some good, some bad - like you can always expect from life. I wanted to do something for me during this year of life - I had thought about some independent long distance adventures to really get "out there" and push myself. This year of life did not permit that for me. I settled on trying to better my 100 mile run time, and establish a new world record for my blind/visually impaired peeps to chase.  I ran three 100 mile races and failed to better my 100 Mile Road run time of 18 hour 49 minutes.

Earlier this year I learned about an American visually impaired runner who is fast and is probably going to take sown several utlta-distance running records - Benjamin Simanski. He is strong, in his late-30s and only getting better. I also learned of 30-something year old visually impaired Irish-Beast, Sinead Kane. She recently sued the International Association of Ultrarunning and won - her beef was that she qualified to run in the 24 Hour World Championships, and the IAU wasn't going to let her because she needed a guide. I've fought with the IAU before - attempting to have them recognize records by blind and visually impaired ultra-runners, they refused. What I learned about Sinead was that she clocked a wicked fast 100 miler on a track in 2019 in 18 hours 28 minutes 13 seconds. That was faster than my "supposed world record" for the 100 Mile Road/track run by some 21 minutes. I was not the world record holder, Sinead was.

f my goal

My goal for turning 50 was to better my PR (personal record) in the 100 Mile Road run, but I would be lying if I didn't include that I wanted my 100 mile record back from Sinead. I told nobody about the Sinead aspect of my goal.

THE TRAINING - I knew I had base miles on my body from all the running I've dong over the past decade. I also, always stay pretty fit running 60+ miles per week even when not training for an event. I ran 3 100 mile races this year, had good buildups with successively faster times. Since November I was on a rampage of 20 miles a day with a few 50 mile runs thrown in for good measure. I had a friend tell me my body had withered since my run across America, and I agreed. At least much of my upper body was gone and I felt "weak". I decided to start weight training and remembered many of my running friends who incorporate weights into their training.  After a month, my body was responding to the weight training and my running had improved. I also felt better about myself, and felt that at 50 I was fitter and more athletic than I had ever been.




THE EVENT - I wanted to find a 100 mile race at low altitude that was flat. Ideally, a track race would be perfect. Despite the monotony of going around and around a 1/4 mile track, it was a flat rubberized surface, my crew efforts would be reliable, there would be light 24 hours a day, a line to follow and there would be a competitive field to race against and push myself. As it turned out, we had a virus that disrupted the world and races were cancelled and postponed left and right. I found a race in Las Vegas on February 13, 2021, just three weeks before my 51st birthday. I figured this would be my last chance to achieve my goal. They have a notoriously flat and fast course. They ended up postponing their event to April - that was too late for my purposes. I needed to achieve my goal when I was 50, and the clock was ticking. None of the other races that were happening were suitable for the goal I was trying to achieve.

I spoke with my Mom about the situation. She is my trusty crew and would crew me for the effort. We were also trying to find a race close enough that she could drive to - she is older and concerned about contracting a virus. We couldn't find anything. A week and a half ago, I suggested that we just do our own100 mile run at Washington Park, a local park in Denver, Colorado. I had ran 100 miles at this park a few years prior, some 50 milers and many marathons. We knew the park well and it was only a mile from my Mom's house, and a few more from my house. With 10 days planning, we decided to give it a go - and so the #100MILETRIAL was born.

The plan was to start at 4 am and finish before 10:49 pm, but my inner goal was to finish before 10:28 pm (which would earn me back the World Record).


THE RUN - As always, the day started with my Mom being super-prepared and me, not so much. I threw some clothes and supplies in a backpack the night before,. Mom had shopped for all the nutrition, made broth, coffee and had everything else that could be imagined - Mountain Dew, Frappucinos, water, chips, jellybeans, sandwiches, pop tarts, fruits, salty treats and more. My Mom is known as "Mama Cindy" on the race circuit - she has saved more than one runner from certain doom and DNF. She has crewed at Leadville, Badwater, Spartathlon, self-supported runs, island runs, and single-handedly crewed my run across America at 51+ miles per day (an incredible feat by any standard - which can only be truly appreciated by people who have Transcon'd). 

I took a Lyft to the park and met my Mom there - I arrived at 4:07 am - late.....but I run on island time, so I was actually early.  ; ) My guide was already there - Robbie. Robbie had Transcon'd within the past couple years and was training for a "last person standing" event. I knew Robbie was fit, could guide and get me through the cold morning hours. Robbie had ran me a couple times and he is an incredible person, and runner. It was cold when we started - about freezing. We started at 4:29 (an odd number, but hey, we are kinda' odd anyhow), heated up as we ran, and were moving well. I asked Robbie to keep me at 9:36 min/mile. That would result in a 4 hour 25 mile run segment. As it turned out, I was slower than expected for my "all day pace" level of effort. The first 25 miles ended up being 4 hours 10'ish minutes. 

A second buddy came out to run some miles - Niels. Niels had paced me at Leadville, and we had some good memories together. Niels was methodical and steady. He knew exactly how I liked to be guided, the correct distance to be apart and my desire to chat or not chat. I was grateful for Niels to come out and get a half marathon in despite the fact that he had a birthday in his household that day.


Next came Katy, my neighbor who is a personal trainer and always puts a hurting on me when we run together. It was great to have Katy with me as she understands my eyesight very well, is a compassionate woman, and a hard-ass all at the same time. She ran me good and cleared a path for me to run. Washington Park is very popular and people from all over the city were visiting and having a walk, or so it seemed. There was a lot of congestion. I was following a painted line down the center of a paved road that goes on the inside of the park. It has 2 white lines and a red line down the center. I discovered where the tripping hazards were earlier with Robbie - I fell a couple times and bloodied myself. It's not a run until I'm bleeding....at least, that is my motto. Another friend joined, Brandon, and he brought a friend, Sean. Brandon is super fast and only knows how to run with his hair on fire. He has wanted to learn how to run longer, so he jumped in. I could see how painful it was for him to go slow. I think he did a half marathon and Katy did a solid 20 miles. They got me to 50 miles and my second segment was 4 hours and 20 minutes, so I was 8 hours and 30 minus for my half way mark. Now the goal was to try to tuck in under 18 hours if possible. I knew my pace would fade, but I was committed to keep running (shuffling). My pace during the second 25 mile segment was in the 9's and occasionally a low 10 minute mile.


As I started my third segment to climb from mile 50 to 75, I was alone. It was nice to just be running alone. I loved the company, but I needed a break. It is difficult without guides in a busy park. I collided with a couple gentleman who wanted to beat me up (no so gentle I suppose), and one dog leapt at me to have a Scooby snack from my arm. I didn't have time to waste with these situations - I was trying to set a personal record, and hopefully set a new world record. I continued running.

Suddenly, something appeared from my right side, as if it time warped in beside me. Rich was next to me. Rich is nothing short of a "BAD ASS". This dude is fit, athletic and crushes courses. He lives by Washington Park and said he'd come out and help for a few hours. Rich's timing was perfect. I was starting to get goofy and not wanting to eat or drink. He kept me honest, and with a calm demeanor continued feeding and watering me. I was starting to struggle and my pace was fading. Rich reminding me about regaining rhythmic breathing.  He was everything I needed to help me climb to mile 70.


I hit 70 miles in 12 hours. I figured I could get to 75 in13 hours, and that would make the 3rd 25 mile segment in 4 hours and 30'ish minutes. If I could run 12 minute miles for the next 5 hours (including crewing and bathroom beaks) I could tuck in under 18 hour. Leading up to this day, my goal was to get to mile 75 feeling "fresh", meaning being able to "run". Rich left and reminded me not to sacrifice a crew stop to make up time. I was conflicted, because I believe caloric intake can be sacrificed in the last 25 miles of any race so long as the runner has been fueling throughout the race. I've done this many times and amazed pacers when I finish without eating at the end of a race. I headed Rich's advice this day, and it was wise. I had been running the entire day, and the body needs food supplies in addition to it's onboard glycogen, fat and muscle.

I trotted a couple laps solo while the sun was setting. Most of the visitors to the park had gone home - it was getting significantly cooler and the wind had been blowing most of the day (this didn't help my run, but whatever. It is what it is.) At mile 74 - Old Faithful showed up - Drew. Drew is a great athlete, great person, and just has great MOJO. He's guided me at Leadville, completed Leadville and tons of IronMan Triathlons. He brings out his family to hang, and his oldest usually does a lap with me on my runs - Lexi!  She is a great runner at 7 years of age. Drew hunkered down and started guiding me. And then, Dan showed up - he's another great runner, guide and Co-President of our local Achilles Chapter. 


The boys knew where I was at mentally being above 75 miles; and, they knew the pace I was holding had to be extremely difficult. I settled on silent running, as night had fallen, people had left, and it was me, the line I was relentlessly following around the park, my two guides and my Mom crewing me. We had to bring this home. I thought I had kept my pace below 12 minutes per mile, but I was wrong. I was regularly in the mid-12 minute range, on occasion slipping to 13 minutes per mile. I was also taking longer to be crewed. As I did the math, I saw my chance to set a new World Record slipping, and was wondering whether I could hold on to even set a PR. I just shuffled at an "all day pace". As I fatigued throughout the day, that pace slowed but I never walked. If I started walking, I knew any thought of a PR was out of the question. There just was no more time to waste. Dan had attended to some personal duties in the late, late miles. Drew promised he would take me to the end, and he did. With 1.45 miles to go, by my math, I had 20 minutes to finish in order to beat Sinead's time and set a new world record. The entire day and 18+ hours of running and struggling had culminated in this moment......in these final 20 minutes. I had a choice to make; I could give up and give in to the pain. I had a truly epic run on an undulating course, with wind, freezing temps, congestion and at 1 mile above sea level - I was 98.55 miles into this thing with throbbing feet from running on asphalt, stiff legs and soreness in all parts of my body. The other option was to carry on. It was time to dig deep, I knew I had to run as hard as I could. I took off into the darkness and Drew soon caught me. I was actually running, not shuffling. My plan was to clear the half mile, then with 1 mile to go, unleash whatever I had left. I did that, raising knees, pumping arms, climbing hills and putting my head down into the wind. When my watch buzzed the second time, I knew I had hit 100 miles. I stopped the watch and asked Drew to read the final time. I was on pins and needles. Part of me didn't want to know. What if I did all of this and failed yet again.. Drew said:

18 hours 24 minutes 19 seconds

I repeated it, verifying what I had heard:

18 hours 24 minutes 19 seconds

He said, "yes."

It was done and I felt relief & joy. At 50 years of age, God had granted me the strength, focus and determination to do something better than I had ever done in my life. And, it was a new World Record by 3 minutes 54 seconds. 


#ONWARD

Jason is an expert at teaching people to transform Dreams into Reality. He has amassed a lifetime of expertise in the field as a General Manager for General Electric leading large teams, where he ran a $400 million dollar business, he was a former leader of Global Operations for a Fortune 100 company, an attorney and CEO of a non-profit that helps children with Autism. In addition to his professional experience, he is a US Paralympian, holds 15 world records in ultra-running and mountain biking, is an author, a highly sought after motivational and business speaker and is the 1st and only blind person to run across America - 3,063 miles where he averaged 51.5 miles/day for 59.5 days. For speaking and media inquiries visit www.jasonromero.net 


Comments

  1. Great job and I loved your race report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 55th birthday is in two weeks and you’ve inspired me to try something epic to properly celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a testimony that I will tell everyone in the world. i have been married for 4 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i meant a post where this man Zuma Zuk have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love Husband home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48 hours as he have told me after doing everything he asked me to do, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make everyone of you in similar case to meet with this man and have your marriage fixed His email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com whatsapp him on this +15068001647..... thank so much Zuma Zuk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog I really like it age should not be a berrier between you and your dreams. Melbourne Boxing Classes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another book?

TREADMILL TRAINING for Visually Impaired Runners

Coming out of the closet: I am Legally Blind