CHASING SECRETARIAT: Going after A Triple Crown of Ultra-Running


It was January 1st of 2015. I had planned a Resolution Run of 45 miles to celebrate the start of the year I would turn 45 years old.  It was a great adventure that started very chilly (below freezing), then turned into a snowy blizzard (white out conditions), then turned a little dangerous (I got lost and had to run against traffic in poor visibility conditions). The run was temporarily interrupted when a police officer made me get into his car to stop me from running against traffic in the road.  I told him I was running 45 miles that day, and had 15 more to go. I asked him if he could drop me off on a mainstreet that had a sidewalk, and was at least 15 miles long. He looked at me like I was crazy. He asked me why I was wearing a "BLIND" sign. I explained that I was legally blind, and that I am a runner and speaker. He shared that his Father had lost his eyesight, and the struggles he had with the process of going blind. Ultimately, the officer dropped me off at a bike path that went for miles, and I ran off into the snowy darkness and finished my 45 mile Resolution Run. Little did I know that the adventure experienced on January 1st, 2015 was only foreshadowing for a year of adventure for me. 

In 2015, I wanted to do something unique that has never been done before. The plan evolved over a few months, and with the help and cajoling of some good friends.  I wanted to push myself and pick 3 of the toughest races in the world, and I will call it THE TRIPLE CROWN OF ULTRA-RUNNING.   I had to consider what makes a race tough, and I came up with a few defining characteristics:

1.  Distances in excess of 100 miles - there are numerous 100 mile races popping up, and it is wonderful to see growing numbers of 100 mile finishers. In all of the 100s I have run, I always remember collapsing into a chair, onto a cot or onto the ground as my body just gave out.  If I really wanted to challenge myself, I knew the distance would have to be more than 100 miles per race. 

2.  Terrain that is predominantly Asphalt - if there is one thing I have learned in running longer distances, it is that trails, gravel and grass are the best surfaces to run in in order to avoid injury and ensure comfortable running. At all costs, runners should seek to avoid hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete, which are extremely tough on the body. 

3.  Inhospitable environmental conditions - I wanted to find races that were in extremely taxing environments...I was looking for heat and/or humidity and hills. 

4.  Qualification standards for entrance - I was looking for races that required respectable running accomplishments in order to participate. I assumed that this requirement was a statement by the Race Directors that the races were serious endeavors, deserved respect  and an experienced running history was viewed as a prerequisite to success. 

With my criteria in hand, it was time to find the races that would comprise the TRIPLE CROWN (I also heeded a suggestion from Luigi Dessy to consider the final race). I found 3 races that fit the bill.....and they are ALL MONSTERS in their own right.

TRIPLE CROWN RACES

1.  The Puerto Rico 150+ (aka "The Kraken"),  www.puertorico150.com, January 2015

This race is a 185 mile long trans-island crossing of Puerto Rico on asphalt. Total elevation change is 40,000'+, cut-off time is 60 hours, temperatures soar to the low 90s and humidity flirts at the 80%-90% range.  The race is self-supported, which means the runner is required to bring his own crew to provide nutrition, hydration and first aid.  Only 8 runners made the start line, and 4 runners finished (see "Taking on The Kraken" for my race report of the adventure).  I was the first blind person to complete the race. 


2.  Badwater 135 (aka "The World's Toughest Footrace - The most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet"), www.badwater.comJuly 2015

This race is 135 miles long, and travels through Death Valley, California during the scorching month of July on asphalt.  The course travels from the lowest point in the US, 280' below sea level, to the portal of Mt Whitney, 8,300' above sea level, the tallest peak in the continental US. Total elevation ascent is 13,000' and total descent is 4,700'.  Temperatures can reach as high as 120-130 degrees, there are sandstorms and runners shoes routinely melt on the 200 degree asphalt.  Several documentaries have been made on the race, most notably "Running on the Sun".  This race is also self supported, and the runner is required to have a crew to provide his/her nutrition, hydration and first aid.  Only about 100 runners are invited to compete. In order to be considered for this race, the runner must have completed at least 3 100 mile races, the Brazil 135 (which is now 175 miles long), a multi-day race in the Sahara, or other demanding qualification standard. There is a 48 hour cut-off to receive a buckle and a 60 hour cut-off to have an official finish. If I finish this race, I will be the first blind American to finish and the 3rd blind person in history to finish the race. 


3.  The Spartathalon (aka "The World's Most Grueling Race"), www.spartathalon.gr,  September 2015

This is a 152 mile race from Athens to Sparta on asphalt which retraces the route of the famed Greek messenger, Phidippides.  This race has strict qualification standards that are focused on runner's speed. There is a 36 hour cut-off, and per the race website only about 1/3 of the starters finish the race within the prescribed time limit. Hopeful competitors submit their ultra-running race results, which are evaluated by the Race Directors. From the group of qualified applicants, a lottery is held to ensure that no more than 390 runners toe the starting line. The heat, humidity and elevation changes are environmental factors to be overcome in this race. If I finish this race, I wil be the first blind person in history to finish The Spartathalon.  

It will be an historic year, if I am able to complete what lies ahead of me. At this point, I was accepted into all 3 races and have completed The Kraken in 51 hours.  In addition to the above, I was chosen to be on the U.S. Paralympic Team and represent Team USA for the World Marathon Championships in April at The London Marathon. I hope to finish off the year with a 6 day run at Across the Years in Arizona, and establish a 6 day World Record for the Visually Impaired. 

Make today a GREAT DAY!

RUN FREE!!

Jason Romero is a highly sought after inspirational speaker and the 1st and only blind person to run across America.  Jason is a member of the US Paralympic Team, holds 11 world records in ultra-running, a former attorney and business executive, and a single father of 3 children.  More information can be found on Jason at www.relentlessromero.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another book?

TREADMILL TRAINING for Visually Impaired Runners

Taco Bell 50k Training Day