UNCONVENTIONAL BUSINESS: THE 90/10 MODEL


What if 90% of your work was pro bono and only 10% of the time you were paid?




This is the situation I find myself in at the present moment. I became a Keynote Speaker a few years ago. When I first began speaking, I spoke for free 100% of the time. I called schools, service organizations (Rotary, Lions, Optimist, Kiwana, Knights of Columbus Clubs), churches, youth detention facilities, homeless shelters and residential recovery centers for adults and asked to speak to their youth and adults free of charge. When I spoke to groups, I was consistently thanked for sharing my story, being vulnerable, talking about tough topics like depression and fear, and teaching how to believe in a dream and accomplish the seemingly impossible. I had people encourage me to continue sharing my story, they told me I was the best speaker they had ever heard, and some told me I said exactly what they needed to hear at that moment. This feedback encouraged me, and fueled my desire to pursue a career as a speaker.



One evening in Denver I had received a call from a friend whose son was in a Boy Scout troop. I agreed to go to their meeting and speak with the troop and parents. I had a great time, and we laughed and I cried. When the evening was over, I was presented with a check for $100. I handed the check back and let my friend know that I was speaking as a volunteer effort to the group. He insisted that I accept the check, and they wanted to support me and my speaking. I was humbled, and didn't know how to feel. Then, I began receiving inquiries from Fortune 100 companies to speak at their meetings and events for a fee. In the beginning, I didn't understand how to make the transition from "free to fee", but with solid mentorship from other speakers I found my way.



As my speaking business has grown internationally, so has my fee and demand for services. I know that my pro bono clients would never be able to afford my current fee, but I still believe the message I have to share is impactful to their youth and adults......so continue to ask to speak to schools, churches, service organizations, youth detention centers and adult transition centers free of charge. In looking at my paid vs. unpaid speaking engagements over the past 6 months I found that 90% of my talks were free. I also noticed that my dollars earned via paid engagements has grown year over year by more than 100%. When I travel to a paid speaking engagement, I try to find a school or service organization to speak to free of charge, so I can continue to spread my message.



It is amazing to me that 90% of my services can be given away free of charge, while only 10% of my engagements are paid. I often tell my business clients about this, and they support my work even more, and feel good about partnering with me. They realize that their dollars spent on me, go much further than the Keynote Address at their meeting. My goal is to always have the majority of my work given away, free of charge. I never want children or people who are struggling to be "priced out" of receiving my services. Also, I receive many referrals for paid speaking engagements from my pro bono speaking engagements. We get much more when we give without the intent of receiving anything in return.



I've never heard of other businesses being ran by giving away the majority of their services, but this model makes me rich in ways that money could never fulfill. Being unconventional and the first to do something is always scary and can be the subject of much criticism. However, when being unconventional actually works, it becomes the subject of much praise and people begin to adopt the business model. It is my hope that the spirit of my 90/10 Model will grow and flourish.

#GIVEBACK
#ONWARD



Jason is an expert at teaching people to transform Dreams into Reality. He has amassed a lifetime of expertise in the field as a General Manager for General Electric leading large teams, where he ran a $400 million dollar business, he was a former leader of Global Operations for a Fortune 100 company, an attorney and CEO of a non-profit that helps children with Autism. In addition to his professional experience, he is a US Paralympian, holds 15 world records in ultra-running and mountain biking, is an author, a highly sought after motivational and business speaker and is the 1st and only blind person to run across America - 3,063 miles where he averaged 51.5 miles/day for 59.5 days. For speaking and media inquiries visit www.jasonromero.net 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another book?

TREADMILL TRAINING for Visually Impaired Runners

Coming out of the closet: I am Legally Blind