Fit at 50?




I turned 50 in March 2020. Since then, I have been wondering whether I am actually fit at 50. I've ran a little since my birthday:
  • April 4, 2020 - 100 miles in 24 hours
  • April 20, 2020 - 26.2 mile virtual Boston Marathon
  • April 25, 2020 - 100 km (62 miles) virtual Canyons 100km
After these long runs, I'm not in a wheelchair or hospitalized or on a 72-hour hold.

Rather, I'm feeling pretty good - both physically and mentally. I'm not ripped with six-pack abs, but I never thought looking good in a picture had anything to do with fitness. I believe fitness is about being able to step out of your home, do something physically challenging, and returning home excited about what you just accomplished. I believe this is different for everybody, and the level of challenge we can accomplish is different. Each of us can be "fit at 50" if that's what we choose.

I still have the desire to run for hours on end, play basketball with my kids, ride a bike across town and walk hundreds of miles on the Camino de Santiago. Sometimes my body may not want to cooperate, but that is normal regardless of age. Sometimes when I run my pace is slower than in past years - I'm having trouble running a sub-3 hour marathon; but, I can still run a marathon on any given day.

Depression has held me down for long bouts, and running has rescued me from its grip. Movement, exercise and being outdoors is how I cure my ills, heal my wounds and find peace. Does that mean I'm fit, or does it mean something else? Has my journey been to become an elite blind endurance athlete, or has it been to learn how to live the right way for myself. Physically, I am healthier that I've ever been. Below is a decade-by-decade glance at some things I've done.
  • 0-9 years:  walked & rode bike
  • 10-19 years: played team sports
  • 20-29 years: completed a marathon
  • 30-39 years: completed 15 marathons & an IronMan triathlon
  • 40-49 years: completed 50+ marathons, 20+ 100 mile runs, 2 IronMan triathlons, ran across America, 100 mile MTB races, and some more stuff
So it seems I'm getting better with age, more fit and physically capable. There is no question that the human body can be fit at any age. The real question is whether our mind will permit our body to perform at its potential; and, whether our body will permit our mind to perform at its potential. The mind and the body are inextricably intertwined. Often our mind tries to sabotage our body, and say that the body is incapable. Or, a little discomfort will be used as an excuse to stop pushing the body to new heights.

If you want to be fit at any age, choose to move on a daily basis. Treat exercise as a privilege, not a chore. Stay in motion and refuse to go quietly into the twilight. Rather, skid in broadside and screaming "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!" You will think better and feel better. There are no shortcuts to fitness, but nothing worthwhile has shortcuts. The satisfaction comes from the journey, not the end result.

A bare-chested picture cannot tell you whether I am fit at 50, but hopefully these words have given you insight into my mind, body and spirit.

I wish you health, peace and love.

#ONWARD

Jason is an expert at teaching people to transform Dreams into Reality. He has amassed a lifetime of expertise in the field as a General Manager for General Electric leading large teams, where he ran a $400 million dollar business, he was a former leader of Global Operations for a Fortune 100 company, an attorney and CEO of a non-profit that helps children with Autism. In addition to his professional experience, he is a US Paralympian, holds 15 world records in ultra-running and mountain biking, is an author, a highly sought after motivational and business speaker and is the 1st and only blind person to run across America - 3,063 miles where he averaged 51.5 miles/day for 59.5 days. For speaking and media inquiries visit www.jasonromero.net 

Comments

  1. Jason you have pushed yourself and body all your life and it surely has paid off...We look up to you for encouragement...God Bless You..Love you always Barbara and Family
    u

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another book?

TREADMILL TRAINING for Visually Impaired Runners

Coming out of the closet: I am Legally Blind