TRAIL RUNNING FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED

Recently, I was included on an e-mail asking about tools and techniques that visually impaired runners can use while trail running.  There was some great information in that forum, and it would stand to reason because the people on the e-mail were phenomenal VI athletes - Richard Hunter (USABA Marathon Chair & recently featured in a zillion articles with his Running Guide Dog, Klinger), Adrian Broca (one of my idols, VI marathon champion & soon to be 24 hour run competitor), Kyle Robidoux (Blind Beer Runner, marathoner, ultra-runner, & just great guy!), and Randy Pierce (stud who will be summiting Kilimanjaro soon, if not already done, and runner extraordinaire).

I made a quick video showing some tools and techniques I use for trail running and night running.  It includes tips for using trekking poles, sun glasses, lighting, head ware, guide selection, reflective gear and strobes.  I hope this is helpful & PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ON ANY OTHER TECHNIQUES YOU USE.

Enjoy!!!



Here is an additional video that shows night trail running with a guide.  We used a tether made of 2 race belts with two elastic shoe laces tied together.  Also note the ankle reflectors being used.  I also noticed that the image in the video is drastically different from what I actually see.  The iPhone I was filming with picks up much more light than my eyes.  When I do this without the phone, the reflectors are the main thing I see.  The headlamp used is the PrincetonTec APEX Rechargeable (My personal favorite). You will also note that I was not using trekking poles as I was trying to run and film at the same time.  As a result, I about fell off the trail (we were running up Pikes Peak).  When you fall, get back up, dust yourself off and keep on running.  Hope this helps!



Jason Romero is a highly sought after inspirational speaker and the 1st and only blind person to run across America.  Jason is a member of the US Paralympic Team, holds 11 world records in ultra-running, a former attorney and business executive, and a single father of 3 children.  More information can be found on Jason at www.relentlessromero.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another book?

TREADMILL TRAINING for Visually Impaired Runners

Coming out of the closet: I am Legally Blind